- Six-years a member of the South Alabama SCORE Chapter
- Former Membership Chairman
- Former Chapter President
- Undergraduate - Production Systems Management (BA), University of Oklahoma
- Graduate - Public Administration & Communication (MA), State University of New York
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP), Project Management Institute
- Retired U.S. Air Force colonel (27-years), pilot, strategic planner and organizational commander
- Corporate experience as a senior-level decision maker with domestic and international experience in operations and production systems management (20-years).
- SITEL Corporation, a publically traded international firm specializing in customer relationship management (CRM) services for Fortune 500 clients.
- Election Systems & Software (ES&S), a privately held international company providing material support (design and manufacture of vote tabulators, ballot printing and project management) to the electoral process in America and certain overseas nations.
- Project Management instructor, University of Nebraska College of Business, Business Development Center
- Baldwin County Extension Service Advisory Council
- Order of Daedalians, a professional fraternity of military aviators
- Ancient Aviators of South Alabama, regional aviation organization
- Four adult children and five grandchildren
- Fairhope resident since 2010
John A. Brown has just been named mentor of the year by the South Alabama chapter of SCORE. In accepting the award, the long-time Fairhope resident and founder of Brown Financial Advisory, was typically self-effacing. "I really don't know what I did to deserve this honor. I just try to put myself in every client's shoes, and be that trusted advisor that we all need from time to time. Just like everyone else here."
Brown has an impressive list of qualifications. Just to name a few, he has been an instructor in financial, investment and estate planning at the University of South Alabama; president of the Gulf Coast Society of Certified Financial Planners; a board member of the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors; a volunteer mediator for the Baldwin County District Court; and when he sold Brown Financial Advisory in 2010, the firm was managing $92 million on a discretionary basis.
In presenting the award, South Alabama SCORE president Thomas Hollomon said, "John not only represents the best and brightest, he has a sense of empathy that runs deeper than the Mariana Trench. He really, really cares. And that's what makes him so good. Please join us in congratulating John on his well-deserved award."
The South Alabama SCORE Chapter has honored Ms. Marion Smith as the 2015 Mentor of the Year. A 15-year SCORE volunteer, Marion routinely provides experience-based guidance to entrepreneurs and small business owners across the Baldwin County, Mobile and NW Florida region.
Formally, a financial analyst responsible for oversight of General Dynamics’ Pension Department, Marion has, for the past 18-years, held ownership and management interests in Town & Country Ladies Apparel in Fairhope.
SCORE is a nationwide organization of volunteers providing free and confidential counseling to entrepreneurs and small business start up activity. Fairhope is home to the South Alabama SCORE Chapter.